Saturday 10 February 2018

Valentine's day and surprises

Valentine's day has for many years been what my late mother called "a commercial racket". Today, the shops are full of pink/red cards and those red roses that flop as soon as you get them home (do men now KNOW this? And they'll be way past their best by Wednesday, even if they don't flop).

But the prize goes to my beloved son-in-law.

"So, do you want flowers on Valentine's day?" he asked my daughter. To which she (reasonably) replied: "you don't ASK me! THAT'S NOT WHAT THIS IS ABOUT!"

 As she later explained to me, not only has be spoilt any surprise, but now she looks greedy if she says yes, and won't get any if she says no. He's put her in a lose-lose position.

And my own dear husband? Well, he's just told me, joyously, that a son is planning a "surprise" visit on my birthday.

I am FURIOUS!

14 comments:

  1. Oh dear - the men in your family are not having much luck with the surprises, Frances! We only do a card, if we're lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here,Rosemary. No surprises and no disappointments!

      Delete
  2. My advice to your daughter would be to say nothing. Then it's up to her husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, too late, Graham. So we shall wait and see...

      Delete
  3. Well I'm with Frances' mother it is just "a commercial racket." I don't need a card or flowers to prove my husband loves me, he shows me every day throughout the year. I say bah humbug to St. Valentine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my opinion, cellophane wrapping does for romance what advance notice does for surprises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely agree, Patsy. And why do flowers left at sites of accidents, deaths etc always keep their cellophane? Princess Diana's flowers after her death would,have looked so much better without all that wrapping.

      Delete
  5. Valentine's Day is not a grown tradition here in Germany, but one we have - like so many others - taken over from the U.S. during the time of so many of their military being stationed here.
    When my grandparents and parents were young, courting or in the early years of their marriages, it simply wasn't done here. Things changed during my youth, but it has completely passed me by. With none of my husbands or boyfriends did I ever so much as exchange a card.
    O.K. and i have the anniversary of our first date at the end of this month. That means a lot more to us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A day never made much fuss of back in my youth. May have become a bit more commonly celebrated in later years, cheered on by commercials and American TV-series. My mum's birthday was the 20th so that's when dad used to buy flowers. And on their anniversary in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Quite, Wendy. But my daughter got her flowers, and my son is coming, so all is not lost!

      Delete